Saturday, September 14, 2013

Oden for Breakfast

We received some おでん (Oden) from Hide's aunt last night. So I decided to make it for breakfast today. This set came with some soup stock,to be diluted with water, and the fish cakes and konnyaku. Konnyaku is a wierd, chewy substancethat translates to devil's tongue jelly. So we'll refer to it as the Japanese word.  To start with, it says to .,, the konbu (昆布) for at least 15 minutes to get rid of the salt. It also mentions you can add boiled egg or radish, so I boiled some eggs. Then I add the soup and three cups of water to a pot and simmered the konnyaku, eggs, and konbu. While they were cooking, I blanched the fish cakes for a few seconds to take away the oil.  After the eggs, konnyaku, and konbu had simmered for 10 minutes,I added the fish cakes and let everything simmer on low heat for ten more minutes. Then we enjoyed a nice, hot, breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment